This is the best egg bake EVER! The simple ingredients make it perfect!
So what makes it so special? Probably because it’s filled with 3 different kinds of cheese, spinach, and a special ingredient…jalapeño. You’re not using the seeds of the jalapeño, so it doesn’t make it spicy, but it adds a great flavor and just the tiniest bit of heat.
This has become a Christmas morning tradition as well as the main course for the Mother’s Day Brunch we host every year. I got the original recipe from a friend of mine whose mother used to make it for them. My friend’s mother passed away about 10 years before I met her, so we share a special connection having both lost our mothers.
I think about her mom every time I make this.
You can easily make this the night before and bake it up the morning of an event. Or this would be great for meal planning for the week!
You know the perfect side for this? BACON!! If you haven’t heard about my trick to get the crispiest bacon, then go to my Instagram account and I have a story highlight saved for it. Basically, you lay out the bacon on a tinfoil lined baking sheet, place it in a cold oven, set the temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and let it cook for 20 minutes. After you take it out of the oven, remove the bacon from the baking sheet and lay it out on some paper towels. This will help to absorb some of the grease and keep it crispy.
My favorite bacon is the Applegate No Sugar bacon. It gets the crispiest!
Enjoy your breakfast!
The BEST Egg Bake
- 10 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Unsifted Flour – Such as Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ Cup Butter – Melted
- 1 Package Frozen Chopped Spinach – Thawed (most packages are about 10 ounces)
- ½ White Onion – Minced
- 1 Medium Jalapeño – Finely Chopped (leave out the seeds if you don’t want the heat)
- 1 Cup Nonfat Cottage Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- (Optional) Slivered Almonds or Green Onions – For garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
- Add spinach and all other ingredients (including melted butter). Mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 30-40 minutes until top is golden brown and it is bubbling along the edges.
- Let cool slightly, slice, and enjoy!
- This is a great one to make the night before and store in a gallon ziplock bag. Then pour the mixture into a baking dish the morning of!
- I highly suggest wearing gloves when cutting the jalapeño. The oil from the pepper could really burn your eyes if you accidentally touch your eyes after cutting it!
- You can sprinkle the finished egg bake with slivered almonds or green onions for garnish.
You can PIN this recipe by clicking on the photo below: